Cortana is quite helpful for many many people for searching the web, showing the notifications and setting up the calendar reminders etc. But many extra conscious people about the security may be wary of the AI assistant that what is it learning about you like your location, your schedule and sharing this information with Microsoft and other services. Cortana was very easy to switch OFF by toggling a single switch but now after the Windows 10’s recent Anniversary Update disabling Cortana is not easy at all.You can also learn about Finding Saved Wi-Fi Passwords in Windows 10.
For turning OFF Cortana you need to follow these simple steps.
- 1st of all Open regedit the registry editor from the search box on the taskbar. Now if asked allow the program to make changes to your computer.
- Now go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search.
- Now if the Windows Search is not there you have to create it.
- Right click the Windows folder and select New>Key and call it Windows Search.
- Now right click Windows Search and select New>DWORD.
- Name the DWORD “Allow Cortana” and then click it and then make sure the value is “0”.
- Now restart your computer you will notice that the Cortana is replaced with regular search bar.
With these simple steps you will be able to disable Cortana in Windows 10. The Cortana is gone but it is still hiding and you may find the program running in the background. You can leave it there and when you try killing this program Cortana will keep popping back up like a weed.